- Ask for the name of the charity if contacted by phone and the telemarketer does not provide it promptly;
- Ask what percentage of your donation will support the cause described in the solicitation;
- Verify that the charity has authorized the solicitation;
- Do not provide any credit card or bank information until you have reviewed all information from the charity and made the decision to donate; and
- Ask for a receipt showing the amount of the contribution and stating that it is tax deductible.
simple rules provided by the FTC when solicited in person, online or on the phone: